Gifts of Stock and Appreciated Assets
To make a gift of securities, please transfer shares directly to Cato's account at Charles Schwab and Company, Account Number 2170-8366; DTC Number 0164, Code 40.
1845 K Street NW Ground Floor
Washington, DC 20006
Please have your broker inform Cato by emailing Brian Mullis: email@example.com or faxing 202-842-3490 when the transfer has taken place.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to Cato Institute.
- Cato sells your securities and uses the proceeds for our programs.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.